Tuesday 25 October 2005

Schadenfreude, Fitzmas, & Plamegate Frenzy

It would have been so much cleaner if America (or that critical 10%) had woken up one year earlier and decisively changed regimes at the ballot box.

While much of the left awaits in excited anticipation of what indictments may be handed down, I share Jack Whelan's trepidation about what that will actually mean for our nation's future.
I'm worried. It just seems that the country is particularly vulnerable right now, that things are being held together with paper clips and duct tape. If these guys go down, they are not going down without a fight. Things could get pretty messy.

Americans convinced themselves in electing this administration they were putting the grownups back into power, but they're discovering now that instead they put in a callow frat-boy who might be the only one left standing when all the dust settles. I don't know about you, but that makes me pretty nervous. He's got three more years. It's one thing to pop the country's balloon about what they really have in this man, but once the balloon is popped, there he is. ...

When abstractly considered, being rid of Cheney and Rove would seem to be a good thing. But their boy in the oval office is in over his head in the best of circumstances. How confident do you feel about his stability and his capability to deal with the kind of firestorm it looks like his administration is about to face?
When I gave my speech to my County's Democratic Convention 18 months ago, friends had advised me to cut the line about "blowing the cover of CIA operatives for political payback" as news that was 'too old'. But it seemed central to me as a cornerstone of this administration's shameless mendacity. Suddenly that old news is revived, and everyone is on pins and needles. Well it's 12 months too late.

Don't get me wrong - I'll take the scandal and hope it finally destroys their credibility as Watergate did for the much tamer Nixon - but I have no illusions that the scars left behind won't be painful.

1 comment:

-epm said...

As I write this reply, we have no idea if Fitzpatrick will bring even one indictment, yet a noticeable camp on the left is acting as if Mardi Gras was just around the corner. I envision them deck out in beads and feathers, blowing party horns and dancing in the streets, and I say stop; you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

I take now real joy -- no Schadenfreude -- in the unmasking of despicable and criminal acts by those who control the sails of this country. If indictments are brought, I will feel sadness that things had to come to this, but also relief and hope -- not joy -- that the nation can begin to come to terms with their abdication of responsibility in putting such blind faith in this regime.

No, I won't be dancing in the streets. I'll be praying for every American heart to be filled with a desire for truth, fairness, justice. I'll be praying that the veil of denial of our nations -- and our leaders' -- flaws and shortcomings be lifted from our eyes, so we can move forward and really become the nation we believe we can be.