Tuesday 27 July 2004

Obama Electrifying!

Barack Obama lived up to the hype and then some in his keynote address to the Democratic convention tonight. I defer to his words:
...children can't achieve unless we raise their expectations and turn off the television sets and eradicate the slander that says a black youth with a book is acting white.

...alongside our famous individualism, there's another ingredient in the American saga.

A belief that we are connected as one people. If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief — I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper — that makes this country work. It's what allows us to pursue our individual dreams, yet still come together as a single American family. "E pluribus unum." Out of many, one.

Yet even as we speak, there are those who are preparing to divide us, the spin masters and negative ad peddlers who embrace the politics of anything goes. Well, I say to them tonight, there's not a liberal America and a conservative America — there's the United States of America. There's not a black America and white America and Latino America and Asian America; there's the United States of America. The pundits like to slice-and-dice our country into Red States and Blue States; Red States for Republicans, Blue States for Democrats. But I've got news for them, too. We worship an awesome God in the Blue States, and we don't like federal agents poking around our libraries in the Red States. We coach Little League in the Blue States and have gay friends in the Red States. There are patriots who opposed the war in Iraq and patriots who supported it. We are one people, all of us pledging allegiance to the stars and stripes, all of us defending the United States of America. ...
But don't stop here. If you missed it, read the whole thing. [End of Post]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My heart jumped with joy,when I read your opinion.Yes there are elderly people that have to do without medication,food,heat in the winter,being cool in the summer. All politicians have a way of telling people what they want to hear.Bush was elected,his brother,his dad.Seems like it runs in the family when you have nothing to do.Most if not all politicians have more money than they,so they get bored,and come up with a game called who can win.Seems like the Bush's have done a good job at that.I am sure Bush will win. Sen.Kerry is just running to have smeting too do.If you ever watched on cnn when they cast votes for a bill they start giving the nays and the yays. and some do not vote at all. Sounds like a good pay check .Hey I do not have to vote on this bill or any other bill,just draw my money an lay back.. Maybe I should go into politics.It is easy money since they do nothing for the american people as a whole.If they did the elderly would not have to pay a dime for medicine are healthcare at all. But as they say a dollar lost is not putting money in my pocket... Go Bush.. We need 4 more years of tears.