Saturday, 29 January 2005

Honoring Courageous Iraqi Voters

Brent Rasmussen at his blog has posted a statement of admiration for Iraqi voters willing to risk their safety in an attempt to bring a democracy to their troubled nation. He's gotten guff for his statement there and at DailyKos, because some on the left see it as accommodation of a morally bankrupt intervention, but I agree with Brent. From the perspective of Iraqis this is a long step away from the tyranny under which they have lived for years, and even though it won't be pretty and the new government will surely be flawed, I too honor their courage. Those on the left trying to transmute the insurgents into a noble resistance are as utterly deceived as are the Christian conservatives who supported Bush based on his 'moral values'. The leaders of the insurgency are as illiberal a force as exists - on this point Christopher Hitchens is dead right. Brent is soliciting support from the blogosphere for his statement, and seems to be getting more conservatives than liberals, Lean Left being a notable exception. This unabashedly liberal blogger won't be shy about joining his list.

3 comments:

-epm said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
-epm said...

Walker, I couldn't agree more!

I'm liberal, sure; but first and foremost I want honest, constructive dialog (not that I'm an angel in this regard). However, considering we in America rarely deliver more than, what, 60% of registered voters to the polls, I have to say I'm surprised at the Iraqi turnout.

Now we'll have to see how the counting goes... and if there are any sore losers...

Micah said...

Amen to that from me, too. I was very moved hearing about the stories of jubilant Iraqi voters, and have no problem celebrating their day even I continue to disagree with the invasion.