Tuesday 7 September 2004

A New Name

A lot of what I'm about is not being smug, so "Well, Duh!" just didn't make sense for the name of this site. At a party Sunday night, I was conversing with a progressive bemoaning the bleak state of corporate control of our political process, and while I agreed with much of his analysis, I argued against his grim outlook. I choose to find allies outside of my own political sphere, because progress is only possible through negotiation and principled compromise. That's why I focus so much on intent, and the need to recognize good will behind disparate ideological masks. I look at the small sample of people I know in the world, and see a veritable explosion of energy for positive change. Behind the scenes around the nation and around the world there is so much happening that we can only guess at. As Margaret Mead once said, "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." The potential for disaster will always be with us, as for me, I'll hold fast to hope. [End of Post]

No comments: